I was recently asked how I generate business from a client. So much has changed with real estate over the past 8 years since I started (I sound like an old man).
Here are the top 5 ways that I personally have been able to generate leads and more business...
5. Real Estate Weekly (newspaper insert that gets mailed out once a week in the local newspapers). Unfortunately this used to be number one about 7 years ago. Barely makes my top 5 now. No one looks at newspapers anymore, no one. Only Realtors who need their ego pumped use this to show off to their family, friends and clients. Sounds harsh but it's the truth. Where is the first place people look when they want to buy a house now.....INTERNET!!
4. Open Houses. Also barely squeeking into this list. This is the biggest farce in my industry. Less than 4% of homes actually sell through open houses. Realtors use it as an avenue to get new business from people walking in the door. The right price and the right Realtor sell your home, not open houses. Again, sounds harsh but this is the reality of open houses.
3. Mail outs. Sending a simple 4 page mail out to my clients every 3 months is such an easy and cheap way for me to stay in touch with them. So many Realtors complain when a former client lists their house for sale with another agent.....first thing I ask "Have you even talked to them since they bought their house 5 years ago?....Have you sent them any sort of mail out to let them know you are even in the industry still?" If they answer no, the conversation is over. If they answer yes....refer to number one on this list.
2. Social media. FACEBOOK!!!!!! Over 80% of my business is generated through Facebook and office websites and now my own personal website to add to that list. Posting the occasional market stat, market trend or just talking about a recent transaction peaks everyones interest. People are ALWAYS interested in knowing what is going on with the real estate market whether they are considering buying or selling in the near future. Who do you think they're going to call.....probably the guy who has random updates and rants about the real estate market. It creates the image that I am constantly on top of the market...which I am. Never understand why more Realtors don't use Facebook as a marketing tool.
And the number one way to generate leads......with number 2 being a long second away.....
1. Make every transaction as fun and worry free as possible!!! 90% of my business is based on referrals. Clients are banking on us to know what the hell were doing. The public has become so much more educated with real estate in general since the great rise and fall of 2007 and no longer have to rely on Realtors for buying or selling their home. It is my job to turn that around and make people WANT to use me. Just like my rant from last week....TRUST your Realtor, Trust your mortgage broker, Trust your lawyer.....it's what we do all day every day! What the hell good are we to our clients if you can't trust us?!?
Remax Real Estate